School nurses lead health promotion and disease prevention in schools. We decrease fears and promote prevention of COVID-19, the flu, and other illnesses. We continue to be proactive by advising students, families, and staff to:
- Stay home when you are sick. If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth (the T-zone). Germs spread this way.
- Cover coughs and sneezes. Use a tissue to cover coughs and sneezes, then dispose of the tissue. When a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work, or school, especially when someone is ill.
- Wash hands for 20 seconds. Washing hands often under clean, running water with antibacterial soap can help prevent the spread of germs. If you cannot wash your hands, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-95% alcohol.
For CDC updates go to https://www.cdc.go/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html.